Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Do I Stay or Should I Go Now?

I think the hardest part of this decision is not a personal or emotional one - it's a logical one. A career, especially in this economic downturn, isn't easy to come by. And will a jaunt overseas hurt or benefit my job outlook upon returning? Do I want to forsake going back to work entirely and return to graduate school?

These are the logical, mental conundrums I face. Emotionally and personally, I know this trip will be a great benefit to my growth as a person, a soul. But, when it's back to the "real world", what will the effects be? Besides a career path, what will the outcome be when it comes to my own perception of the United States? What if I return to find I am miserable being once again in this culture? What if I return and find that it has caused a giant rift with my already-too-far-away family? While I doubt they'll love me any less, the sacrifice of not seeing them for a time is considerable.

I guess these are the risks you take when it comes to long-term travel - it has to be a willing sacrifice when it comes to the impact it will have on my familial and friend relationships. It will be a year out of their lives. A year where, if something were to happen, my ability to be there for people is hampered.

Right now, I think it's a worthwhile sacrifice - family is in good health and my friends won't disappear after a mere year. A few of them might actually meet me along the way as they consider their own reaction to an uncertain job forecast.

Chasing a dream is something I've done before - it was hard but it did lead to something great. You fall, you get back up again - being knocked out by a single punch isn't my methodology. So these worries are something I need to deal with at the end of the day.

"The only things I've ever regretted are the things I never did."

This has been my motto for years and, while it has lead to grief, it has also led to the amazing and I have never regretted any of my decisions.....well, ok, there are a few but they were rare and far in between. Even when things go bad, you still learn and it makes you a better person. At least, that's how it should be.

I went to the library and got a few books to consider - some inspirational for this trip and others factual. I'll post how they did and all their information for future readers.

Until later....

Have love, will travel,

Kabel

No comments:

Post a Comment